UCEAP Reciprocity

Exchange students come to UC Santa Cruz as part of the University of California's Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Students in this program are referred to as "EAP Reciprocity Students" by the campus, due to the "reciprocal" exchange with current UC Santa Cruz students.

To check if your school has an agreement through UCEAP, the best course is to contact your university's study abroad office. If UCEAP is not available to you and your university or program is interested in creating an agreement directly with our school, please contact Global Engagement.


How to Apply

If you are interested in coming to UCSC under UCEAP Reciprocity, the first step is to go through the application process with UCEAP online at myeap.eap.ucop.edu. Detailed information and instructions are available reciprocity.uceap.universityofcalifornia.edu  for undergraduates and graduates.

Post-Application Questions

Thank you for applying for UCEAP! At this stage, as a pre-placed student, you will be working with UCEAP Systemwide and your home university. Many of the questions you have may be answered through UCEAP Systemwide's Post-Application after you apply resources at reciprocity.uceap.universityofcalifornia.edu.

Back to Top


Getting Your Visa

EAP Reciprocity students will not only submit documents to UCEAP Systemwide but also directly to UCSC's International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) once placed at our campus. Like degree students, you will need to submit a I-20/DS-2019 Request Form and supporting documents through the Admissions web tool as described on our I-20 or DS-2019 page.

Making Payments to UCSC

While you are exempt from certain fees, you will likely find you still need to make payments to UCSC for your housing (if on-campus), health insurance, or other miscellaneous fees. If you have a U.S. bank account, you can follow the instructions on sbs.ucsc.edu. UCSC has partnered with Flywire to provide an easy and secure method of making international payments to UCSC. UCSC students and families can pay from almost any country and any bank, typically in their home country currency, and use familiar payment options (bank transfer, e-banking, credit cards, etc.). For more information and to make a payment, visit Student Business Services. For those students interested in making international wire transfers, it is best to contact sbs@ucsc.edu to obtain the most up-to-date wire transfer information for UCSC. 

Health Insurance

All students are required to hold health insurance while studying at UCSC. You will be automatically enrolled in the university plan (UCSHIP), but may request to waive out by following the instructions on healthcenter.ucsc.edu. Charges for university insurance will be posted to your student account. If you have questions about insurance or the waiver, it best to contact the insurance office at insure@ucsc.edu.

Enrollment & Prerequisites

Classes for the next quarter are typically posted to the class search database halfway through the previous quarter, at which time you can start to plan your classes. Enrollment appointments then typically open two weeks later.

EAP Reciprocity students are classified as priority students, so you will be able to enroll during the "priority enrollment period" before your first quarter. For Fall-starting students, enrollment will begin mid-July. For Winter-starting students, enrollment will begin early-November. The UCSC Registrar has Student Enrollment FAQs here and Enrollment Appointment FAQs here to help you navigate the MyUCSC system.

If you are unable to register for the course you want through the student portal due to prerequisites, you will need a permission code. As an exchange student, UCSC has no record of you having taken the equivalent prerequisite courses at your home university. The best thing to do is to contact the department advisor for the class about enrollment in those restricted classes. You can use this template to help explain you have the background to succeed in the class.*

*Engineering Majors ONLY: An ISSS advisor will email you prior to your enrollment appointment to discuss your intended courses and request permission codes on your behalf.

Living in Santa Cruz

Information and tips about living in Santa Cruz, particularly finding housing, is available both through our Resources and through the UCEAP website. The Reciprocity Student Guide has additional specific information about housing, enrollment, obtaining your J-1 visa, and much more. 

Early Move-In

Fall-starting EAP Reciprocity students living on-campus cannot move in earlier than the Thursday before orientation. Winter-starting EAP students living on-campus cannot move in earlier than the regular move-in schedule. Many exchange students who arrive earlier stay at hotels, friends' houses, or the Santa Cruz hostel in the interim.

Orientation & Visa Check-In

All EAP Reciprocity students must attend an Exchange and Transfer Student Orientation, which will help you learn about the campus and your new community. Additionally, all EAP Reciprocity students in F-1 or J-1 status need to complete an online visa check-in so ISSS can report your arrival and activate your record.

Back to Top

Currently at UCSC

Staying in Status

EAP Reciprocity students should follow the same guidelines listed here for J-1 degree students when it comes to maintaining status.

Enrollment Verification & Learning Agreements

Some universities or scholarship organizations require EAP Reciprocity students to complete enrollment verification form or learning agreements each term while they are studying at UCSC. ISSS advisors are familiar with these forms and can sign them for you during walk-in advising.


EAP Reciprocity students should follow the same instructions listed here for J-1 degree students when seeking employment.

Enrollment Changes

If you are considering taking a "W" grade or need to drop a class for medical reasons, please follow the same instructions listed here for J-1 degree students.


EAP Reciprocity students should follow the same instructions listed here for J-1 degree students when traveling.

Early Withdrawal

If you need to withdraw from UCEAP before your original end quarter, please submit this form to UCEAP. You should also visit the ISSS advisors to discuss your withdrawal and take care of any arrangements for your departure.

Extend Participation

If you would like to stay on exchange longer, you will need to request an extension by contacting your home university and UCEAP. Please follow the instructions here for help.

Back to Top

Before You Leave

Grace Period

EAP Reciprocity students in J-1 status have a 30 day grace period after their studies where they can remain in the U.S., while those in F-1 status have a 60 day grace period. However, you may not travel outside the U.S. during the grace period and return in the same F-1 or J-1 status. Instead, you would need to reenter the U.S. as a tourist or under the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA). Students considering this should discuss their plans with an ISSS advisor. 

Housing Contracts

Students living on-campus must be sure to close out their housing contracts before their program ends. If you do not do so within the housing cancellation period, you will receive a late fee and will not be able to obtain your transcript. Contact your housing coordinator for more information or review the Student Housing Services web site. Students living off-campus should be sure to notify their landlord or master tenant 30 days before leaving that you are ending your lease or month-to-month agreement, especially if you have given a security deposit.

Account Charges 

Make sure your UCSC account balance is in good standing and all bills have been paid before you leave Santa Cruz. Even minor printing fees can cause a hold. If there is a hold, the Registrar will be unable to issue your final transcript until it is paid. If it is a large amount, UCSC may also need to send the bill for collection. Check with the UCSC Student Business Services for more information on your billing status and account. 

Back to Top



Your final, official transcript is sent automatically from UCSC to UCEAP's Systemwide Office, who then send them to your home university at no cost to you. However, this process can take up to 6-8 weeks. If you need copies of your transcript ahead of time, you can either print out a PDF of your unofficial transcript from MyUCSC, or purchase an additional official transcript from the UCSC Registrar.

Returnee Support

Returning from study abroad can be challenging as you readjust to life back home, but you do not need to tackle readjustment alone. We encourage you to reach out to your home university's study abroad office for support if you are dealing with reverse culture shock.

Back to Top