H-1B Temporary Worker

The H-1B nonimmigrant category allows for hiring of foreign workers in "specialty occupations" for which the employee must have the necessary credentials. A specialty occupation is defined as an occupation that requires:

  • Theoretical or practical knowledge of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and
  • Attainment of a bachelors or higher degree in the specific specialty or its equivalent as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States.

All request for H-1B employment must be initiated by the hiring department in conjunction with the International Scholar Advisor. Since the H-1B process is complex and lengthy, involving campus units, Department of Labor, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and Department of State, it is important you contact ISSS in advance if considering H-1B sponsorship.

H-1B status can be used to support permanent faculty and academic positions. To request H-1B sponsorship for a Postdoctoral Scholar position the hiring department will need to request an exception to UCSC visa policy. Please refer to Recruitment and Appointment of Noncitizens CAPM 102.530. Any exceptions must be approved by the Campus Provost. 

More Information