Transfer Record to UCSC

You Are Eligible for SEVIS Transfer If:

  • You have been accepted by University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC).
  • Your new program at UCSC will begin within 5 months after your current F-1/J-1 program end date.
  • F-1 Students: You request the transfer no later than 60 days after your current program end date;
  • J-1 Students: You request the transfer BEFORE your current program end date.
  • You have maintained your legal status.

Before UCSC can issue you a transfer I-20/DS-2019, you MUST:

  • Inform the international student advisor at your current school that you have been accepted to UCSC and plan to transfer here. UCSC does not use a SEVIS Transfer-In form.
  • Ask your current school to “release” your SEVIS record to UCSC as soon as possible. The release date will probably be the end date of your current school’s academic session/semester/quarter.
    • UCSC’s F-1 school code for the main campus is SFR214F00416000.
    • UCSC’s F-1 school code for Games & Playable Media MS students only is SFR214F00416001.
    • UCSC’s J-1 program code is P-1-03968.
  • If you have international travel plans in between schools, please consult the international student advisor at your current school before they release your SEVIS record.
  • Complete UCSC I-20/DS-2019 Request. For more details and a complete list of required documents please see Request an I-20 or DS-2019.
  • Once the release date has passed, UCSC will have access to your SEVIS record so we can issue a transfer SEVIS I-20/DS-2019 to you.

Important Things to Remember:

Will my SEVIS number change?

No. When students properly transfer their SEVIS record to a new school, they keep the SEVIS number they had at their old school.

Do I need to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee again?

No. Since you are keeping the same SEVIS number you already paid the fee for, you do not have to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee again.

My visa for the school I'm transferring from hasn't expired. Can I still use it, or do I need a new one?

If the F-1 visa you received for your last school is still valid and was issued for the same SEVIS number, you do not need to get a new visa, even if it says your old school's name. Immigration inspection will be able to see that you transferred from that school to UC Santa Cruz; it should not cause any issues.

J-1 students, however, will need to obtain a new J-1 visa if they travel outside the U.S. after transferring to UCSC.

Do I have to leave the U.S. after finishing at my old school and before coming to UCSC?

No. Students who transfer their record are allowed to remain in the U.S. after completing studies at their previous school and before starting at UCSC.

If I've transferred my record and decide to travel outside the U.S., when can I reenter?

You may return at any time as long as you have the proper paperwork. As a transfer-in student, you are not subject to the rule saying you cannot enter more than 30 days before your program start date. However, make sure you have the I-20/DS-2019 of the school that holds your SEVIS record at the time you're planning to return. Also be sure that your F-1 or J-1 visa has not expired by the time you'll return.