Extend Program

If you are not able to finish your program by the end date noted on your I-20 or DS-2019, but have maintained F-1 or J-1 status and are making normal degree progress, you may request an extension of your program. If you are an EAP Reciprocity student who would like to stay an extra academic quarter, you may also request an extension.

When to Apply:

Apply for an extension before the end date listed on the I-20 or DS-2019. To allow sufficient processing time, please submit your extension request with all the required documents to ISSS at least two weeks prior to the end date. If your I-20 or DS-2019 expires while you are still a student, you may be considered in violation of your status.

How to Apply:

If You Are an EAP Exchange Student: Proceed to #1.

If You Are Not an EAP Exchange Student: Proceed to #2.

  1. EAP Students must first contact both UCEAP Systemwide at uc-reciprocity@eap.ucop.edu and your home university to request an extension. Once approved and processed, UCEAP will inform ISSS via email. You can then proceed to #2.
  2. Log into iGlobal, select "ISSS F-1 Requests" on the left navigation, and complete the Program Extension eform.
  3. Attach proof of funding for the extension period as determined by the below requirements. Please note that these required amounts are for one academic year (9 months). If you are requesting only one or two-quarters extension, your required funding will be less.
    1. Proof of funding: Financial documentation may not be more than 6 months old and must be in the form of
      liquid assets (checking, savings, money market accounts, etc.). If you will be funded by someone other than yourself (your parents, other relatives, friend, etc.), the owner of the account(s) must complete and sign the Affidavit of Financial Support. If you have more than one financial sponsor, each entity must complete the Affidavit of Financial Support.
  4. You will be notified once the new I-20 is ready within 7-10 business days of all items being approved.

Required Funding

Current estimates for degree-seeking, EAP, and summer students can be found below, and will be updated annually as new estimates are released.