On Campus Employment

On-campus employment is employment engaged in at UC Santa Cruz, such as a teaching or research assistantship, employment at the University Center, library aide, and so forth. Typically, this means that you will be receiving a paycheck from UC Santa Cruz.

Authorization/work permit

F-1 students do not need written authorization from ISSS or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work on-campus, as long as they maintain F-1 student status and pursue a full course of study. No special permission is needed unless they have already graduated.

J-1 students must have written authorization from their J-1 program sponsor for any on-campus employment before beginning work. If their DS-2019 was issued by UCSC, they must complete the on-campus employment authorization form with their employer. If your DS-2019 was issued by another sponsor (Fulbright or CAPES), please check in with that agency about the authorization procedure for on-campus employment.  

Work hours

F-1 and J-1 international students are eligible to work on-campus for up to 20 hours/week during the academic year and full-time during vacation or break periods. Once you complete your studies, you are no longer eligible to be employed on-campus without special additional authorization, i.e. Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Academic Training (AT). As long as you meet all CPT eligibility requirements and you are fully enrolled for the term, you are allowed to do both CPT and on-campus employment for up to 20 hours per week each.

Multiple jobs

You can have multiple jobs, but cannot work more than 20 hours per week total when school is in session. For example, if you are employed 15 hours/week as a Teaching Assistant, you can only work 5 more hours per week in another on-campus job.

Not sure if a job is on-campus?

If you have been offered a job and are not sure it is on-campus or not, or whether it qualifies as employment, contact an ISSS advisor.