Travel Abroad and Return to the United States

This is a brief checklist of documents you will need to reenter the U.S. in J-1 EV status:

  • Valid passport (unless exempt from passport requirement)
  • Valid J-1 visa (unless exempt from visa requirement or eligible for automatic revalidation of visa after a trip of 30 days or less to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands)
  • Valid DS-2019, signed for re-entry by the RO/ARO (Responsible Officer/Alternate Responsible Office)
  • Evidence of financial support
  • Proof SEVIS fee payment. If you need confirmation you have paid the SEVIS fee, visit I-901 Fee payment website, select Check Status

If your J-1 visa is no longer valid, apply for a new visa to a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the United States. Note: a J-1 visa will be annotated to show the program sponsor's name, program number, program dates, and SEVIS record number of the individual. The exchange visitor may not use any single J visa for a program other than which is specified on the annotation, even if the J visa has not yet expired. An individual who transfers programs might need to apply for a new J visa if returning to the U.S. under the sponsorship of a new program.

Travel to Other Countries
Before you leave please contact the nearest consulate or embassy of the country you are about to visit for visa and/or special requirements to enter that country.

Travel to Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and U.S. territories
Puerto Rico, the Virigin Islands, and certain territories are considered part of the United States so a J nonimmigrant does not need a visa to travel to and return from these locations. It is recommended that you carry all documentation (passport, DS-2019, I-94) during your travel. Make sure your travel does not involved transit or short stays in another country for which a visa may be required to return to the U.S.