Faculty & Scholars

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) supports academic units in bringing some of the world's most experienced scholars and researchers to UCSC. ISSS facilitates and monitors immigration compliance within a complex, ever-changing regulatory environment.  By providing timely and accurate guidance, ISSS enables the university to recruit and retain international scholars in support of the institution's teaching and research missions.

J-1 Exchange Visitors

Information for scholars being sponsored by a UCSC department to come on J-1 status, the most common type for visiting scholars. This section provides information on the visa process, orientation, insurance, travel, extending your program, and the special rules for J-1 scholars.

H-1B Scholars

Information for scholars sponsored by UCSC to work in a specialty occupation on H-1B status. This section provides information on eligibility requirements for H-1B, maintaining H-1B status, traveling, employment changes, and USCIS site visits.

Permanent Residency

Information for international faculty who have been offered permanent positions and meet other specific criteria to qualify for PR sponsorship. This section provides introductory information on how UCSC divisions and departments can begin the process to sponsor permanent residency petitions.

Scholar Spotlight Profiles

Learn about some of our current and past international scholars and faculty!